Atom.io, promising but it's not quite there yet
I had a good long play with the new Atom editor by the folks at github. While I haven't tried to write plugins for it, unlike this guy, I've tried to use it just as I have been Sublime 2 for some time.
I know it's in beta and things should get better but a few deal-breakers prevent me from continuing for the immediate future.
- Scrolling is jerky and horizontal scrolling is almost unusable.
- Autocomplete is a key combination and not inline.
- Random text selection when trying to highlight a portion with the mouse.
UPDATE: v0.120.0 seems to scroll horizontally now with no discernable glitching
That's quite I short list I think so maybe I'll come back to it in a couple of months to see how things have progressed. On a lighter note, there are some things I do like.
- Clear, unobtrusive git statuses in the gutter.
- Easy and quick plugin installation.
- Already has the Monokai theme I use day-to-day (plugin).
- Simple font size changing
- Supports split pane layouts (either Cmd + k followed by direction or Cmd + shift + p and search for split).
So, for what it's worth, I'd say it's getting there but there's a little way to go right now.